Saturday, August 20, 2011

Friday - What a day!

A couple noteworthy things early in the day...but I can only remember one now:
I had been having trouble with my eyesight the past couple days. I finally realized that my distance vision was not this bad earlier in the summer. Got the idea that maybe I had my contacts in the wrong eyes and so in the morning I swapped them. Eyesight improved!

Sent out all the camp decision slips electronically to all the pastors. Found email addresses for all the churches/pastors. Only one bounced back so I might have to mail that one out as a hard copy.

Worked on the computer on various things and then decided to head outside to do another flower bed - the one straight out from the back door. I had no sooner gotten everything out and started when I started hearing rumbling. Now we've had thunder/lightning a couple times lately with no rain here so I kept on working. After a bit, though, I covered the trash cans and put the things I wasn't working with into the garage. I got about 1/3 done and it started raining. Went out on the porch and watched the rain. It poured for about 20 minutes and rained about 30 minutes. Cooled down and bit and felt good. Didn't have to do any watering!

Showered and wrote up the Esther email for Hearts and Hands for Missions. Left at 4:45 for Cracker Barrel/Camp. Picked up a free Walgreens' collage on the way and went up to Cracker Barrel via Plum & 3Bs and K, ending up right by it on 36. Had a good meal. Saw Karissa Kincaid come in with her mother when we were ready to leave so we visited with her a bit. They said 71 traffic was bad. As we left and drove over the Interstate we saw it was stopped northbound so we took Wilson Rd. which "turned into" 656. Had a pleasant drive up to camp.

Visited with the VanderSchels a bit and then Ken went to the Craft building for the OBM meeting. I visited with Kim a bit and then went to file something in the office, pick up some lost and found for Karissa, and get some packing supplies from Cathie (and my camp keys, which I hadn't realized that I'd lost). Had a nice visit with Cathie out on the road. Later I walked back to the A-frame area (funny to see someone else in OUR cabin - ha) and called Karissa about the lost and found. It was very still and warm so I walked back to the lake and sat on a bench until the (rental) campers came from chapel to the store. I was heading back to Kim's when Cathie came down to the store. So, I looked around the bookstore and visited a bit more. Then I headed back to Kim's just as the kids were leaving with Kim's folks to spend the night. So, I went in then (about 9:00) and visited with the V's until Ken came from his meeting just after 11:00. We continued visiting until just about 1:00.

Left at 12:57 and decided to come home via 71 since it was late and foggy. I made the comment as we were pulling out of the A-frame circle, "We'll have to watch for deer tonight." We were about 2 miles north of 61 in the right hand lane when we saw a deer coming from the median across the 2 lanes of traffic. There was a car in the left lane almost right next to us. We both slammed on our brakes (Ken and the other driver… although I probably slammed “mine” on, too!) and then heard the thump. Didn’t hit the other car and no one slammed into us. The air bags didn’t go off. So, we are very thankful. Pulled over to the side, assessed the damage, and decided to try driving home. Seemed to be no problem with driving. When we got home we checked the damage and Ken called the State Highway Patrol. (Ken had just scheduled the Civic for its first oil change. We were at 5800 miles.) Dumb deer!

Went to bed really, really late! This morning when I came downstairs (awakened early by a phone call - we've gotten several middle-of-the-night calls this week from India???) I thought I heard the cicadas a bit louder than I should have. Noticed that the front door had not been closed tightly and the front screen wasn't locked. Probably from when I was out on the porch during the storm. We hadn't checked the door when we left. So, we do what we can to be safe but it's ultimately the Lord who protects us - in the car and in the house. Thanking God for His evident protection yesterday!

1 comment: