Saturday, July 16, 2011

recap of Junior 1 Camp

End of the week and I'll take a couple minutes to recap the week.

Sunday: Got an idea to take pictures of empty places around camp and then take pictures of the same thing with all the campers around and put it on the blog. Took several pictures on Sunday night. Great idea - only our Internet was down and I couldn't get the pictures up until Tuesday night. Well, best laid plans... Staff meeting Sunday p.m. went well. I cleaned Melody's kitchen while they were finishing up; it's always fun to do something for someone else when they're not expecting it.

Monday: Beautiful morning but clouds - big, dark ones - moved in after lunch. It began pouring about 15 minutes before check-in and we moved the line indoors. We didn't start registering early (didn't want to set a precedent) but started passing out skill sign-ups. Power went out for a bit and it was raining so hard that it was coming in the windows on the ceiling level. I got soaked when I chased Toby back up to the house after he was trying to get in a family's van and coming in Ashbrook Hall. He had been in the lake to retrieve something and it was pretty gross. Got all the campers checked in by 2:45. Izaac then set up games in there so we moved into the office. Balanced all our money by 3:15! Skies cleared but it stormed once more about chapel time.

Tuesday morning I took the kids out to the sand volleyball court to pull weeds. Got quite a few phone calls throughout the day. Dealt with 2 non-custodial parents and thought things were okay. However, one parent came and picked up the son Wednesday afternoon. That was disappointing; I felt responsible (although I handled everything the way I should have on the phone). In the afternoon I went to Kroger to pick up the epi-pen.

Wednesday I took the little kids to the channel bridge. We had pushed off 2 canoes and wanted to surprise them (but they decided to head back in before coming through the channel). We had a full-time staff meeting after lunch - our first for the season. After the meeting many things got done around camp... Went to chapel in the evening. Took the kids (Joshua and Andrew) on the dam after chapel to see the sunset.


Thursday we went to the post office and then spent the rest of the morning cleaning Peelers' van. Went to the library after lunch. After the campers went to chapel, I took Joshua, Andrew, and Seth to the zipline tower to watch the sun set. Took oodles of pictures. Came back around the lake and out to the courts on the hill. On the way back we saw the moon rising over the trees.




Friday: Slept very little and so I was tired. (That was my first restless night since we moved up here.) Worked on cabin assignments. Took an hour nap in the afternoon. Elizabeth slept 2.5 hours.

Saturday: Small camp and they got through clean-up pretty fast. I took cabin pictures - but forgot to take an all-camp picture. (I'd tried to do it twice earlier in the week but...) Cleaned the windows in Ashbrook Hall and then came back to work on cabin assignments some more. The boys were having a water fight and playing with the hose. After an hour, Joshua and Andrew left to play disc golf. Seth continued to play in the water and mud for an hour more. Went to the Gathering Inn for supper (mom/pop restaurant - okay, but not great) and got all the staff books ready for tomorrow night. Saw on the library reading page that I won a prize. Hoping to get into Westerville next week to pick up a library book, spend a $10 coupon at Kohl's and get a DQ blizzard BOGO.



Good week of Junior 1 Camp. 62 campers (more boys than girls). Men counselors were great. Girls were young and somewhat inexperienced but with only 6 girls in a cabin, it worked out well. Enjoyed posting pictures for the parents again this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment