Saturday, December 17, 2011

Gramma and Grampa K's House at Christmas

Living only a mile from my father's parents, we were at their house quite often. Christmas was really special as Gramma was a meticulous and artistic decorator. She didn't go overboard but had some very special things that always came out at Christmas. One thing that I especially liked (and have now at my house) was the gold bell that plays Silent Night. It always hung between the living room and dining rooms.

Gramma's tree was always very beautiful. She had a real tree - but a different kind than we had. It was bushier and didn't have as many ornaments on it. After they got it, Grampa would "flock" it and make it look like it was covered with snow. Then Gramma decorated it with lights - I think they were always white - and beautiful ornaments.

Gramma and Grampa had a fireplace - something we didn't have. Pam and I thought this was necessary for Christmas as we believed that Santa Claus needed a way to get into the house. Gramma always decorated her fireplace and hearth for Christmas. There was a mirror over the fireplace and she would put garland around it. On the fireplace she put gold or silver decorations. She cut letters from thick gold or silver cardstock. I remember one year that it said "peace" and there were white feather doves decorating the mantle. She had elves on the hearth - made from Styrofoam with felt clothes. Pam and I loved to play with those guys.

We went to Gramma and Grampa Kolenburg's house on Christmas Eve. It was just the 6 of us. Gramma always had a delicious dinner - but that wasn't as memorable as the gift giving. (I do remember thinking it took extra long to eat dinner and then we had to clean everything up before we could open gifts.) Gramma's packages were always so beautiful and JUST what we wanted or needed. It wasn't until I was in Junior High or High School that I found out that she gave money to Mom and had her pick things out for us. We always got books from Gramma. I loved the Bobbsey Twin books and the Nancy Drew books. We got beautiful clothes - always a dressy outfit. One year Gramma decided that we needed full-length coats (so we wouldn't be wearing jackets with our dresses) and we got money to spend at Fields at Woodfield Mall for a coat. She didn't shop with us - but as soon as we got the coats, we went over to show them to her.

Christmas Eve was relaxing and fun. We dressed up and it was sort of a formal occasion. Gramma sat in the chair next to the fireplace and distributed the gifts. Of course, Pam and I were the center of attention, but yet I don't remember feeling like it was "all about me." We loved our grandparents so much and loved to give gifts to them. All the gifts they gave us were so special and given with such love.

I remember getting home late after those Christmas Eves (usually it had snowed - sometimes quite a bit!) and setting all my gifts out on the workbench downstairs so all the other relatives could see them. I remember reflecting on how special everything was and being so happy.

After I married and was really "into" cross stitch and plastic canvas stitching, I found a pattern for a home at Christmas. It reminded me so much of Gramma's house that I made it and display it every year with a picture taken of me on my grandmother's lap when I was 13 months old - just 2 weeks before my sister joined our little family. That picture and that plastic canvas living room brings to me warm memories of Christmases past spent with those that were closest to me in those early years of my life.

The tree was "flocked" but it "melted" the first year stored in the attic.

No comments:

Post a Comment