Everything today (and this weekend) has been about "ten years ago." Where was I on that fateful morning ten years ago? I remember vividly, as do most Americans, exactly where I was when I first heard about the plane hitting the World Trade Center building in New York City. I was at home. Melody called to tell me about a plane hitting a building in NYC. I answered the phone in the family room and remember the sun streaming in the window. I imagined a small plane hitting a building and reassured her that things like that happened from time to time and that it was nothing to get panicky about. She told me to turn on the television. That's when I realized that it was more than just a small plane accident. I watched as the second plane slammed into the second high rise building and saw both building collapse on national television.
We had planned to go to the Container Store to look for something that morning and I headed out around 11:00, picked Melody and baby Joshua up and went to Easton. When we got to the door of the store and saw the handwritten sign that said the store was closed, we realized that there was more to all of this than we had ever imagined.
The day before I had mailed a few packages to missionaries. Those all got tied up in immigration. The Fosters had to declare everything that was in the package. There was someone else whose package was opened because it had come through around 9/11.
All planes were halted for a couple days and the speaker for the Women's Retreat had to find another way to get from NC to OH. Several ladies canceled out of the retreat that weekend. However, for those who did attend, it was a real blessing to share together and have a bit of normalcy at the end of a chaotic week.
9/11/01 was a day that has defined America. Things are now measured in "before 9/11" and "after 9/11."
I am so thankful to know that God is still good - all of the time. He is in complete control of everything and I can trust Him for everything.
No comments:
Post a Comment