Saturday, December 11, 2010

Dinner with Daddy - September 7, 2010


From: Patti Perry [mailto:pbcpatti@sbcglobal.net]

Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 11:17 PM

Dear Pam,

I’m really tired! But I did want to let you know that everything went well with Daddy’s visit. Except for him being in a wheelchair, it was much like old times when he would come over for supper. I pureed his food (not so easy to do) and he didn’t choke much at all.

I stopped over at Outlook on my way home from the grocery store and Daddy yelled “Patti” several times when I was talking with the nurse. He was mad! At least I knew he knew who I was… He wanted to go “home” and was very upset that I couldn’t figure out why he was yelling at me (he rolled his eyes). Sigh… I was figuring that it wasn’t going to be a good night. I figured he’d get here before everyone else did (he didn’t), that Jason wouldn’t make it (since he had to be at a 2:00 meeting in Toledo – but he did), that Dad wouldn’t even come (and he did), and that Outlook wouldn’t send an aide (since the nurse today didn’t know anything about him coming over – but they did). I figured out when Bekah arrived early and was helping me that I had worked myself up into a tizzy (I couldn’t find anything to wear, I couldn’t sit down, I was getting more and more uptight every minute) so I was relieved to see Dad in good spirits. He was really kind of chatty.

Mark was reminding him of some of the things he’d told him as a little guy that weren’t true. He was laughing. Then he said, “Can we change the conversation so I don’t get in any more trouble?” The kids had a good time with him.

The Aide was helpful – quiet and in the background, but helpful. She ate a little and did play the last hand of the game with us. She thanked us for everything when she left. I didn’t recognize her but she said she’s been at Outlook for 5 years and 2 months. She works second shift so that’s probably why I haven’t seen her.

The transport company was great. It was a challenge getting him through the door, though. (I’d gone over this a.m. to measure the door clearance there.) I thought we might have to remove the door closure but they got him through. Ken took one side, Mark the other, and the guy rocked the chair back so Dad was on his chest and they lifted him up and then down the stairs.

I’m worn out! I will be interested to see how Dad handles this adventure – if he perks up, or if he’s worn out.

I did post pictures. I wanted to get them up for you asap. I also had a free 30 pictures from Shutterfly (by book came today) and so I ordered several for the kids, Daddy, and us. I didn’t think I’d get all this written to you since I was so tired, but…

It was a memorable day. I only wish YOU could have been here.

Thanks for praying, Pam. I’m heading off to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment